16 July, 2010

Finally got off my arse


and went to visit one of my favourite people yesterday.  Ann Marie, lives in Islandbridge (that's an Island BANG in the MIDDLE of the Liffey - how cool is that?).  She's also Arthur's godmother and a very good one despite what she thinks.  His present for his birthday was late.  Late presents always a bonus in my book.  Had a great evening catching up with everything and we got talking about how differnt people have different er, parenting ern, ways of doing it.  The parenting that is.  Annie doesn't have kids and may choose to never have any but that hasn't stopped me or lots of other people insisting she be godmother to ours as well as honourary auntie because she bloody well rocks.  She's the friend who one night tried to sit down and have a quick dinner with me in our old house in Inchicore only to have it interrupted several times between trying to prepare, marinate, cook and eat the bloody thing by Harry throwing up.  He was a big vomiter in those days.  As I said, she rocks.  And she buys great presents - more of which later.  Actually, will say now.  Arthur got the coolest card with beans on it.  No merchandising shite.  He also got a periscope which is causing huge delight by spying on me in the loo.  AND.  AND!!!  A rocket that is powered by baking powder and vinegar - which we can't use yet because, and I'm serious here, I have no baking powder.
So, other peoples parenting methods.
Her fella has often remarked  (oh god) to people on my parenting ways.  He has told people that myself and D. have very well balanced little boys.  Boys who are boisterous, happy, mental and content but also well used to being told to "Fuck off and give me five minutes to talk to MY friends" a bit.  He thinks this is great.  I think 'Oh good jesus', but you know what?  He's right.  My kids get it.  Not all the time but they get it.  Ta very much Annie and David for reminding me I may not be conventional but I am a fucking great mammy!

No comments:

Post a Comment