13 March, 2011

Strange times

Am sitting here, after having a lovely day, big lie-in, breakfast, further sleeping and then a big day in the park with the men in my life.
I've just been invited to dinner.  I think I have the cakes under control and I've halfway through season 2 of Madmen.  Was quite happy until I turned on the tv and was brought down to earth with a bang.  Again.  
I've noticed that lately I watch stuff I've recorded or box sets.  I seem to have set out to avoid watching television live.  I think I'm doing it to avoid watching the News.  Which isn't like me.  I live on a relatively small island on the edge of Europe, next stop America type thing so I think I should watch the news, find out what's going on all around me.  I like Irish news broadcasting too, RTE btw, as it's non-sensationalist and the reporting is matter of fact and to the point.  No news on a loop, no doorstepping people to get the big reaction.  Just good news reporting.  Local news followed by national and then international.  
This week I'm avoiding watching the news because what is happening in Libya is soul destroying.  People looking to live in a democracy being blown out of it.  Being shot down for no reason other than they don't want to live under a dictator.  A dictator who claims his people love him.  A dictator who is shooting these people for their own good.  I feel especially sad because the rebels are losing ground.  They are being forced backwards and I think they are so brave.  I wish them well in their fight.  I admire their bravery and their beliefs and I can't watch the news.
Japan?  Tsunami??  My biggest fear.  Drowning.  Jesus.  There is a fuckwit on youtube who I now appear to be having a full scale row with.  He believes this is God's way of ridding the world of murderers, rapists, child killers, pedophiles and, oddly, Osama Bin Laden.  I'm shocked.  Both by his stupidity and his belief that God would do this.  Amazing to me that in this century someone believes that there are Gods.  Terrible Gods who wreak havoc on innocent people.  I mean, let's face it, most of the Japanese who have been killed or displaced weren't Osama Bin Laden or murderers or rapists of whatever.  They were just normal people, looking out for those they love and simply getting on with their lives.  
My God, whomever it may be, would weep at this great sadness and this huge loss of life.  My God is weeping. I feel like crying.  I can't watch the news because I guess I'm one of those people who can fall down in the face of such horror and loss.  I feel sadness easily.  I talk shit a lot too!!  But I do find it hard to watch the news.  I find it hard to listen to people who talk rubbish and start quoting fucking scriptures and shit movie titles when something this awesome happens.  We simply live on a rock, floating in space and that rock shifts and evolves and occasionally does so in such a huge, basic level that it kills innocent people.  Innocent people who lived, loved and have now left.
I talk a lot of shit but I feel too much sometimes.  But I do not feel anything for the fuckwit on youtube who thinks this is alright.

3 comments:

  1. Well said Mrs. I cant watch the news either at the moment. Well done on such a great post xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The news is just so painful to watch. I dip in to stay current but my days of indulging in the most recent tragedy of the week are done. Too much sadness for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Far too much. Kind've puts things into perspective. xx Sleep safe and tight my friends.

    ReplyDelete