02 April, 2011

Latest venture

Wasn't sure whether I should be posting this on the Perfectionist blog or here . . . but as it's a day out kind've thing (even if it did involve our cakes) I thought it should go here.  So, our latest venture?  Today we started a new market stand.  This time in Donabate with the Transition Towns Development thingie.  I do know more about it but you can read all about them here.  They ran a couple of great courses, I signed up for them and as part of the deal we agreed to work on a new market they were setting up.  Simples.
Except the weather forecast was shite.  Yesterday had been bloody hard work on our Balbriggan stall, the wind whipped everything into a frenzy.  When the weather is mental it makes things harder, less people, stuff blowing hither and thither.  And if it rains. . . bleaugh. You'll have a blast with the other stand holders but when the whole idea of having a stall is to raise both your profile and money (to feed bottomless pit kids) it kinda blows.  Man.
Based on yesterdays shite weather and today's shite forecast we decided to limit our cake numbers to 350.  
Bad move.  We sold out of our cherry cola before we'd properly unloaded them.  Then the lemon.  Then the pink vanilla.  We basically sold out of everything by 12.  Noon!!  We were to be there until 3pm.  We weren't the only ones who sold out.  Nathallie, Rebecca and Paul the fish man were also done and dusted by 12 or thereabouts.  Spent ages then just sittin' and chillin' and telling people that he market launched with a bang and that we'd be back next with even more.  Be back with a new table too.
Then the coolest kid I've met in a long time (excluding my own menacing little men) set up shop.  He was with his dad and had a 10 point plan.  He dissed me and my stand, without knowing it was my stand, by saying 'yeah, I'm going to do really well.  Those two over there (he gave a nod in the general direction of Bernie) didn't plan well enough and didn't bring enough stock.  Their loss'.  I asked him how they could do better next week, he told me and then I introduced myself.  "Hi, I'm Niamh.  I'm one of those two over there!".  He blushed but didn't bat an eyelid.  Yup, Ben of Ben's Buns blew me away.  Unlike the wind that didn't show up.  If the wind had've shown up we would have had enough stock.  Okay Ben.  Okay!!!!!!!
Some photos now.  It was fantastic.  I loved it.  Looking forward to the lovely Mo coming on board in the next few weeks.  We have plans for Harry's burger cakes.  
Come see us all next week.  Especially us mind.  'Us' being the Perfectionist Confectionist.  We make great, no.  We make FABULOUS cakes.







 haha, I called out 'Anthony' and he turned like a flash.  Mainly because I sounded like his ma.
 Chin chin.
 Lesser known Perfectionist.  Bernie.



 Donabakes!!!  Donabakes!!!!!  Feck, love it and wish I'd thought of it.  Wouldn't it be great if she was called Donna.  She's not by the way.  Just in case you were wondering.


 Them there are my cakes that you can see.  Mine I tell ya.


 The aul' fella on the left used to go out with the jam lady.  The aul fella on the right just bought rhubarb.
 Peak Oil stuff.  Weighty but interesting.
 Sean and our best customer
 Next week's ingredients.
 Awww.  Look at that little kitten.  You can't have face painting without spiderman and faeries.
 All together now.  Bye bye miss American Pie.  Drove my chevvy to the levy but the . . .  nah, he didn't play that.  Better stuff.

 He bought the last two.  Go Mo!
 Our blurb.
 This wee man is going to be on the Dragon's Den in a few years time.  Put money on it.  


2 comments:

  1. Brilliant blog, have laughed all the way through! Except when I got to my picture!!! LOL hack of me. Nearly fell off my chair at the aul fella and the rhubarb :) You a funny lady!
    Lots of love from your best customer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Lianne,loved that day. To quote my little men it was "the best day EVER".

    ReplyDelete