28 May, 2011

Getting the best out of your market!! Chorizo and Tomato Salad

Chorizo & tomato salad

I got this recipe a couple of years ago from the BBC Good Food Magazine, that's also where I sourced the above photo as my food never, ever turns out that prettily.  

Firstly, I got the chorizo from The Olive Company at the Balbriggan Fish and Farmer's Market (every Friday 9am til 1.30pm) but other than that everything else cane from the Donabate Market today.  Didn't make the salad this time - having it on Sunday when the visitors arrive.  Instead I just sliced the chorizo into discs and fried off in a pan.  The oil that is left over is great for salad dressings that involve rocket or other peppery leaves so I just, normally, bung it into a jar.  Don't throw it away, seriously it's much too nice.  Today though the boys got at it and mopped it all up with bread.  Rebecca and Emer's bread (I am loyal to two markets you see).  Ken is my veg man in Donabate and Sheila and her lovely hubbie supply me with what I need when in Balbriggan.
You'll need:

3 large beef tomatoes, cut into wedges.
Half a red onion, thinly sliced.
Few thyme sprigs, leaves picked.
1 tbsp sherry vinegar ( I use rice mirrin or cider vinegar when stuck)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
100g chorizo, sliced on the diagonal - buy the best you can get.

Then you:

Put the tomatoes in a bowl with the onion and thyme.  Season , then drizzle with the vinegar and oil.  Let the flavours mingle whilst you cook the chorizo.

In a hot, dry pan, fry the chorizo slices until browned on both sides.  Serve the tomatoes with the friend chorizo and drizzle with a little oil from the pan.

This recipes takes a whole FIVE minutes to cook.  About twice as long to enjoy. 

Now for my 'not so pretty photos':







No comments:

Post a Comment