21 August, 2012

Legitimate Rape???

What the fuck is that all about?  Excuse the language but I am fuming here.  I am beyond anger at having seen the television interview with Congressman Todd Akin.  Not heard of Mr. Akin?  Google him and read all about it.  
This man is a Missouri US Senate candidate and recently said, when asked whether abortion should be legalised when the woman becomes pregnant as a result of being raped,:  "It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that is really rare," he said of pregnancy caused by rape. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down," 
Do you want to read that again?  
Yes, the man should I be raped my body has the biological defences to prevent pregnancy in cases of "legitimate rape".  Firstly, what the fuck is 'legitimate rape'???  I no more understand that phrase than that man seems to understand the basics of biology.  
Jesus Christ, this man will have political power.  Has political power.  Fuck.
He said, in the television interview, that the need for abortions in the case of rape was "a particularly tough ethical question."
It's a question?  I thought it was a given.  It would take a very strong, wonderful woman to look at a child born of such a crime and love it.  A very strong woman indeed.
I want to argue this out without getting emotional but I can't.  I really can't.  I am sick to my back teeth of people making decisions for other women and myself.  It is our bodies they are campaigning with.  How dare anyone have the right to say you should go ahead with a pregnancy.  How dare someone get that involved with your life.  
I don't see any of the pro-lifers, be they Congressman or a spotty student who thinks he knows it all doing anything other than shouting 'NO' a lot.  Once that baby is born they don't care if you can feed it or take care of it.  They don't care if you are out of your mind with depression or in a violent relationship.  They don't come along and help look after you and the baby, either financially or emotionally.
I am sick to my back teeth of having no bloody rights over my own body.  
Do you know, in Ireland, if you need to terminate a pregnancy due to the foetus being unviable you have to go to the UK?  I have the right to have an abortion just not here, in the country I reside in.  Not in our country, ta very much.  Nuh-uh.  No abortion in good Catholic Ireland.  
But I digress, I am so glad I have been put right by Mr. Akin.  I will not get pregnant if I am, God forbid, raped.  My bodies defences will see to that.  My fists will see to it too.  I wonder would the Congressman let me away with  murder should I kill the man who tries to rape me?  Do you think?  Or is it only the life of the unborn that is sacred?
I strongly dislike this man.  He is a moron.  He is a complete and utter moron.  This man should not be in a position of power. He does not warrant it.
Oh, and for the record, I'm Pro-Choice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment