11 September, 2011

Standing on top of Twin Towers March 2000 a video by someone else


Today is the 11th September. Ten years ago today Islamic Fundamentalists flew two planes into the WTC in New York. The year previous myself and Darren had got married in New York and stood on top of one of the towers and had photos taken, marvelled at how great New York is and tipped our heads against the glass so we could see straight down the side of the building onto the world below. The cars were so tiny, you couldn't even see the people. It was amazing. Back on the roof you could see the Brooklyn Bridge, Statue of Liberty and everything else. I took photos of us and Garry, our best man and mate, and we laughed and loved it. This isn't my video, it's someone else's. Someone else who, the year we got married, had stood on the top of New York and marvelled at how magical it all was. I like this video as it reminds me of a great time in my life and how fragile life can be.
Less than a year later it was all gone. All those people. It's strange but I'm crying for people I never knew today. I'm crying because I've remembered the lovely ice cream lady we met who was working in the lobby at the top of the tower. The lady who agreed $5 was a lot for one ice pop. Crying for the man who never got to hold his son. His son was due to be born the next day but his wife had gone to the WTC to see some work colleagues. He lost his family that day. I got to hold my first son Harry tight in my arms that night and every year, every September 12th I think of that man and the son who never got to be.
There is so much hatred on the web today. So many people on the likes of YouTube spouting hatred of all Muslims and Islam and . . . hatred. I don't understand how you can hate a whole race. I've said this before but 'how can you hate everyone you've never met?'. These men were extremists. Bitter and twisted and evil men who believed they were acting on God's instruction. I don't have a God as such, I'm Catholic but not a true believer any more, but I do believe in Love. And I remember from when I was young and in school that God was all about Love so I struggle to believe that a God, in any religion, would want such hatred and destruction and hatred.

So today I'm going to sit quietly and hold my kids tight, even though Arthur is driving me mad and light a candle for the son who was never born and for all those who died that day in the planes, the building, the pentagon and the families of those who died.  Today I'll think about survivors, the firemen, policemen, doctors, priests and the rest of us. That candle will be lit for me too to try and remember not to hate, to listen and to reason, to argue and debate and above all not hate.



Fear of the unknown.
They are afraid of new ideas.
They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based on… if something is new, I reject it immediately because it’s frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

quote source here



No comments:

Post a Comment