31 January, 2012

Chicken Soup, it's good for the soul don'cha know.


Himself does a great roast chicken.  I do great things with the bits left over.  I make a mean chicken stock,, chicken risotto and now .. . . a great Leftover Roast Chicken Soup!


You'll need:


Approx. 400g leftover roast chicken.  Leg meat is especially tasty but strip your chicken of all meat.  
2 onions, diced.
3 carrots, diced.
1.4L of chicken stock (I use 3 stockpot things from Knorr.  I add the water directly to the soup and drop the contents of the pots in).
1 tbsp olive oil
Sprig of thyme - my kids hate it, I love it.  They get what they're given!


If you want even more flavour you can make up the following and swirl it into the soup.


3 tbsp of Greek Yoghurt.
1 crushed garlic clove.
Squeeze of lemon juice.


Then you:


Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot.  Add the onions, carrots and thyme and saute for about 15 minutes.  Stir in the stock, bring to the boil before covering and simmering for ten minutes.
Add the chicken then remove half of what's in the pot and puree what's left with a stick blender (I actually stick the soup I take out of the pot into my blender as don't have a stick one).  Tip back into the pan with the rest of the soup, season and simmer for five minutes until heated through.


You can then:


Mix the yoghurt, garlic and lemon juice together, swirl into the bowls of soup and serve.  

No comments:

Post a Comment